Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Time-out for tea & scones in Stayton



Shirley and I, decided to give the new Gardner House Cafe in Stayton a try this morning.
I'm adding my review here, since it may be awhile until it appears on Eat Salem
So many beautiful memories she and Dan took with their cameras on their vacation! And I only looked a the first few days worth of photos!

"I was anxious to hear more about my friend's cruise, but she didn't have a way to meet me for breakfast in Salem. I suggested I pick her up and we visit the newly opened Gardner House Cafe in Stayton, near her home. The cafe wasn't hard to find since my friend is familiar with the area and remembered driving past the bed and breakfast on 633 N Third.
We walked up the path, past the fountain, the Ginkgo tree and up the stairs to the front door. Once inside, we admired the old fashioned flowered drapes with lace curtains and the sunny yellow walls. There were about 5 tables in the dining area immediately inside the front door, nicely lit from the sunlight coming in the windows that look out onto the front porch. One of the owners, peeked in and said he'd be right with us. He invited us into the next room to taste their scones and choose our tea. Their generous samples of lemon lavender, orange cranberry & coconut chocolate chip scones, helped us make our selections. The owner suggested we try a pot of their "creamsicle roobios" tea. In addition, we each chose a bowl of fruit. My tender, orange cranberry scone had a nice balance of flavors and wasn't overly sweet. While neither my friend nor I could taste the "creamsicle" in the roobios tea, it's light fruity flavor was a nice accompaniment to the scones and melon balls. I liked how the china cups and saucers added a special touch to our table. On our way out we mentioned we were going for a walk and the owner helpfully told us that The Covered Bridge Park was just 5 blocks from the cafe. The stroll to the picturesque bridge and fir shaded park was a nice finish for our morning together."

No comments: