Wednesday, March 18, 2009

He Said She Said

Anyone who spends time with me in the staff room at lunchtime or in the morning when I'm reading my daily favorites, knows how much I enjoy reading Carolyn Hax and her opinions. I grew up reading Ann Landers. So when I discovered Carolyn, it was like finding an old friend. They're cut of the same caring yet no-nonsense-to-the-heart-of-the-mattter cloth.
I have a tendency to view every relationship issue I'm invited into with what I believe to be a Carolyn perspective. Or I'd like to think so.
Two friends of Fran, within a few days span, broke up with their fellas. Neither was a healthy relationship; one involved a married man, the other featured one person making all the sacrifices - yes, all.
Fran's been frustrated watching these friends make these choices. So hard to tell a friend that you don't think the person they've chosen to give their hearts to is worthy of them, but she has - gently and repeatedly. Now she'll be listening rather than trying to illuminate. So hard to watch someone you love in a relationship where the other person fails to give them the kind of respect they deserve (and listen to the excuses made for that lack of respect). So hard to watch them and hold their hands while they mourn the end
- without saying, "I told you so."

No comments: