Friday, May 1, 2009

Flu and WOU

Today a co-worker brought up WOU's closing down due to a possible case of Swine Flu. I replied that I had heard they were taking flack over their reaction. She strongly disagreed that they may have done the wrong thing and then changed the subject. Maybe it's because I spend my weekdays with short people who don't excel at personal hygiene, but I've been thinking about this a lot.

No way do I assume to be an authority on the subject, but it doesn't make sense to me to send people who might have been exposed to this flu into a whole new group of people. Wouldn't it be better to deal with each individual case as it comes up, rather than closing down institutions? I feel the beginnings of a flu hysteria bubbling in the background.

I do think it's important to wash your hands frequently, sneeze/cough into your sleeve, and to avoid touching your face or eating without first washing your hands. Due to my occupational "hazards", these are actions I try to stick to every day.

2 comments:

Salem Man said...

As I understand it, the student with the flu was around a lot of people during the day before it was discovered. Health officials have shut down the school until Monday because there were a lot of people that were supposed to visit the school from surrounding areas this weekend. The concern was that these out of towners might get infected and bring the flu with them to their communities. Spreading the virus throughout the state. Excuse me while I go wash my hands.

KandN said...

That actually makes a bit more sense, but couldn't they have just canceled those activities instead?