Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I repeat--YES, I'm a cider drinker!


When N and I took a trip to Vancouver Island a few years back, we were fortunate enough to have stumbled upon Merridale Cidery.  We tasted 5 out of their 12 ciders and purchased bottles of our 3 favorites.  During our visit the two of us began talking to a local at their tasting bar and learned that there's a rich cider world in Canada. 
Later, my curiosity about why a young U.S. had nearly abandoned their European cider heritage, took me all over Google.  I read several theories, but no one I read is exactly sure about what happened.  Although, the theory about the fledgling beer industry successfully pushing for laws to make life tough for their cider competitors makes a lot of sense. 
It was during that same Google search I found Wandering Aengus' website.  N and I have been in love ever since.  :>)  I recently learned that the number of U.S. cideries is increasing by the year.  Good news that!  I'm looking forward to next year when I plan on heading north to one of the cider festivals.  Meanwhile, I'll try and keep up on what's new in the cider world at Old Time Cider.

No comments: