Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The art of listening

"When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand. Ideas actually begin to grow within us and come to life. You know how if a person laughs at your jokes you become funnier and funnier, and if he does not, every tiny little joke in you weakens up and dies. Well, that is the principle of it. It makes people happy and free when they are listened to. And if you are a listener, it is the secret of having a good time in society (because everybody around you becomes lively and interesting), of comforting people, of doing them good." ~Brenda Ueland

Today during our therapy session, I began to wonder if I'm a better listener to friends and co-workers than I am with NI've been missing important cues/clues that would've given me better understanding of the words I was hearing. 

No comments: