Monday, July 5, 2010

I'd rather jam than switch

Last June, Fran and I made a couple batches of freezer jam using Ball Freezer Jam Pectin.  The ratio of fruit to sugar was the deciding factor; 4 cups of smushed berries to 1.5 cups of sugar.  Not only was there less sugar in the jam, but the overall experience was better.  I felt like I was really eating berries and didn't feel the gritty sugar crystals in every bite.  So this year, I used all Ball and I didn't miss the boiling of the pectin or buying 10+ lbs of sugar.
It's so simple it feels like cheating.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I've got to try that one next year. I used Sure-Jell this year, and Pomona last year. Still a lot of sugar in them even though they are low sugar style.

KandN said...

I find it frustrating that most stores only carry one or two brands at the most. I want to compare, dog gone it! I just have to remember that Bi Mart is where I found it.
But no matter what, freezer jam made at home is the best. :>)