Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer Reading

This past week a fellow Salemite asked area Twitterers (Tweeps) what good books they had read this summer.  I hadn't spent time thinking about the titles I've been digesting--until that moment.  I haven't read as many as my first empty nest summer, but it's close, very close.

The list:
Margaret Atwood, Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus,
     (interesting, but not sure I'd recommend it unless you're an Atwood fan)
Jeannette Walls, The Glass Castle: A Memoir,
     (very good and amazing it's someone's life story)
Jeannette Walls, Half-Broke Horses,
     (good, but not as good as Glass Castle)
Rick Moody, The Ice Storm
     (very good. interesting look into 60"s/70's family life)
Sarah Addison Allen, The Girl Who Chased The Moon
     (if you're in the mood for something light, a tiny bit sappy and slightly predictable.)
Chris Bohjalian ,The Law of Similars
     (what I'm currently devouring and plan on buying other books by this author.)

What are you reading?

2 comments:

leyla said...

I read The Glass Castle this summer too. Sooo good. Summer is the best time for reading :)

KandN said...

Hi Leyla, It's an amazing story, isn't it? Half Broke Horses is the story of Jeannette's grandmother's life. I felt like Jeannette thought it would help us understand her own mother better. It did, but it was a less satisfying read for some reason. Less first hand knowledge of events maybe?