Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chicken Broccoli Stir-fry -- it's a keeper

When I first found this recipe, it was one of those uninspired evenings when I decided to Google what I had in the refrigerator and hoped to use.  I ended up finding a recipe I can add to my "go to" list.  Not only does it have ingredients I usually have on hand, but it tastes good.  I can easily change up the heat and the number of servings.  
I only made a few changes. I used 2 chicken breasts, instead of 4 and instead of Sherry I used Mirin.
Enjoy!

Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry
Bon Appétit | December 1995
by Dorothy Davis: Columbus, Ohio
Yield: Serves 4

1/4 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry Sherry
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
Large pinch of dried crushed red pepper (optional)
Hot cooked white rice

Whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, Sherry and cornstarch in small bowl until cornstarch dissolves.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken to skillet and stir-fry until white, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli florets, bell pepper, onion and crushed red pepper, if desired, and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender and chicken is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth mixture and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Serve with rice.

No comments: