Saturday, December 10, 2011

That might have been us . . .

Have you ever gone shopping and found yourself perturbed by another shopper moving at a turtle's pace and the nearly impenetrable knot of people that forms in their wake? Maybe you've gone so far as to wish they had stayed home and not made your errand even longer than you had allotted time for? That might have been Fran and I.


I nearly apologized, but you see this is such a big, wonderful moment for me--Fran is walking! Not just the few feet to the kitchen or bathroom, but REALLY WALKING. Each time we leave the wheel chair behind in the car, my heart pumps with a warm surge of hope and happiness. So no, I'm not going to leave her at home.

Every possible opportunity, I'll be taking her out into the world she's seen little of in the past couple of years. If you see us, please remember to smile and give us a little space--jostling isn't helpful when you're working on balance and concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other. If we're not preoccupied with the journey, we'll return and remember your smile.

Hope to see you around town.  :>)

2 comments:

sweet sue said...

What a super Christmas gift!! That makes me SOOOO happy...great, wonderful, strong family....you are the BEST!! I love that!! and YES! I will think twice before feeling the way you were describing when someone slows me down...love you lots!! Big hugs to you all!
your happy sis

KandN said...

It's the kind of gift that just keeps on giving. :)
I'm not worthy of those compliments, Sis. I don't feel strong, but I have gained great compassion for people who have similar experiences. I don't know how to turn this into something that can help others.
I have many thoughts about the pain management industry, but little knowledge. Not sure how to even begin to lobby for some kind of change.