Friday, February 3, 2012

Why do you ask?

Someone at work today, who rarely shows any interest in my private life, began asking question after question. My spidey senses were activated and I felt like I was their assignment.

Why did this send an alert to my brain? I had a high school acquaintance who would regularly "interview" me (I thought she was chatting me up and yes, I spilled my guts). Later I'd discover that she had traded my information like currency all over the school. As a result, I'm a fairly private person depending on the share level of our relationship.

Maybe it makes me an odd duck, but I learned long ago that we go to work to do our best and earn a living--not to make life long friends. If I spent my time being social, I'd never keep my focus or get anything done. I'm either in drive or neutral.

So now, unfortunately, I'm on alert and waiting for a shoe to drop. Oh how I hate that feeling . . .

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooh, I hate that feeling.

KandN said...

Must be one of us introvert's worst nightmares. {shiver}

smc said...

I totally agree that work is not the place to make friends. Certainly we should be kind and professional, but I have never understood these work friendships. Like you, as an introvert, it's never been something I've been comfortable with. I have seen it backfire so often.

KandN said...

Oh yes, the backfiring. Not a pretty sight to witness. :(