Thursday, May 31, 2012

Shhhh!

"I love you children, really I do.
But can you please settle down and be quiet?"

Just for an hour.

That's all I want.

I want to remember all the reasons I love spending 9 months of every year with you, watching you learn and grow. Remember that book I read to you in science on Wednesday? I spent hours looking for that book. I was thrilled when I found it. I thought, wow! A book written by a scientist for her children about photosynthesis! Exactly what i was looking for! Sadly, only one of you (she's in the PM class, in case you're curious) listened all the way through. And she exclaimed (to my excitement), "we're all connected!"Oh K! You made my heart soar! That's exactly how I felt the first time I understood photosynthesis--the plants and people NEED each other!

Sadly, I cannot remember what my own personal last school days were like. I remember a few times being excited over winter break when there was snow, but that's it. Naive? Selective memory? Could be. Or maybe it's the solar system working against every teacher in the universe. Influencing the part of the brain that controls decision making?

Whatever is to blame, I'll always remember that moment K, and talk about you to future kindergartners.

But please, just remember, it's up to you. It's not the adults in your life who should be entertaining you. YOU should be trying with all your might to squeeze the juice out of every moment.

No comments: