Monday, December 2, 2013

Family History Project

I can't count the number of times I've been inspired to take action (in a small personal way) all due to something I've heard on public radio. This time it was from the Story Corps program. I think it was a special Thanksgiving program I was listening to, where they were urging everyone to share and record family stories over the holiday.

On a whim, I packed our video camera, then enlisted daughter Lise to be in charge. I urged her to find a way to get this started during our visit to my brother and sister-in-law's house on Thanksgiving. Like most of my whims, I was prepared for it not to work out. Whether due to people being uncomfortable with telling their story in front of a camera or just the usual problem with holding anyone's attention during a large family gathering.

I was thrilled with the family cooperation and Lisa's success in getting this started. I urge all of you to give it a try. I suggest you give everyone a warning the day of, find a quiet place and start with the bravest members.

On a slightly different note--how cool would it be to do this city wide? Maybe as a project for CCTV that would last an entire month? People could walk in or make appointments? What do you think?

Here's our project, but we're not finished . . .



KarlaandNorm from K Miller on Vimeo.

No comments: